9.05.2012

Moving


We moved houses last month.  The move has taken more than the whole month of August.  We still aren't quite done.  So if you've called or emailed or texted and I haven't gotten back to you, it's because of the move (and kids starting school, and new activities, and all the other normal stuff). 
I've moved my entire house to our next house this past week using grocery bags and laundry baskets.  Especially useful for mixing the 900+ (no lie) books we own.Had to send the smallest and lightest of the big people to get Nate's mobile down.
We moved ourselves.  In grocery bags and laundry baskets.  And since it's 100 degrees outside here, I lost nearly 10 pounds working and carrying all our stuff in and out of houses.  I think we went throuh two tanks of gas (may have been cheaper to rent a moving truck now that I look back) just driving the few miles between houses. We got rid of lots of stuff on craiglist (and earned some spending money in the process:).
We moved almost everything to the new house last weekend. Everything except the TVs which are still hooked up at the old house. So today we are camping out on the floor, escaping the 95 degree heat and 75% humidity to chill in front of the TV at the old hMother of the year award here. I spent the day moving more stuff (seriously want to just give it all away and start over) and cleaning the old house, and shuttling kids. So after declaring today TV day I proceeded to feed them popcorn and candy the run to
No furniture didn't deter the kids from watching TV.  And unfortunately, we lived on popcorn, candy and pizza for a week.
Day 22: #home Our new house. #photoadayaug

This is our new house.  It is much smaller than the last one.  I am grateful to have less to clean.  And cheaper rent and utilities. However, I've had to be creative trying to find places to put everything.  (Still need to get rid of lots more.) There is a pool and playground right across the street!
Never too early to teach a girl some plumbing skills. Hazel installed the new shower head all by herself.  #missindependentWorking on making our new house feel more like home. Nate switched out the stock light fixture for my favorite orange light over the kitchen table. He has been awesome Tackling my honey-do-list for me on his day off. #light #orange #igaddictsannoymous
I needed things to feel a little bit homey. (Beige walls are really boring.) Hazel installed a better shower head in the kids' bathroom -- all by herself!  Nate hung up my orange kitchen light.
Hazel found these bunny kittens in our back your this morning. Now she wants to keep them. She spent the morning designing a rabbit hutch. They are sooo cute. #bunnyI love watching the moon rise. Unfortunately it is usually when I'm trying to get kids from activity or to bed. I'm excited about the upcoming blue moon on Friday.
And there are some great new good things about our new house.  Lots of empty fields means critters.  We found these bunny kittens next to the house on Sunday morning.  Hazel decided she wants a bunny now, instead of a hampster.  She even spent the day designing a rabbit hutch for these cute guys.  Unfortunately, they left the next night (and I think one was prey to something bigger.)  The skies are a little clearer out here. 
Day 3: #faraway #fmsphotoaday  #road
And this is my view driving about 8 times a day.  This road is so long and straight, looks like it goes forever. I think that I will feel a bit more settled soon.  A couple things left at the old house to take care of (ie. piano, fridge, and freezer - they were too heavy to lift into the back of my truck).  And I need to sort the stuff in the garage and hang some pictures on the walls.  Then we'll be settled into the normal busyness of regular life.  If we can just get that far...

1 comment:

grannybabs said...

We used to move a lot - and I enjoyed the "fresh start" you got to have each time. I need to pretend I'm moving I guess!