7.21.2012

Fresh

I love gardening.  There is something so rewarding in planting seeds and seeing them grow bigger everyday and then to produce such yummy things for us to eat.  I got a couple plots at the local community garden and planted some tomatoes, basil, peppers, beets, carrots, and radishes.  The only things that are struggling are the tomatoes and peppers.  Mainly because the tomatoe plants took over and have shaded everything else.  So though I am sad that the carrots might not work out this summer, I have TONS of tomatoes.  We get 5-10 pounds of tomatoes 3 times a week!  So we eat lots of salad, salsa, and tomatoes go into everything.  Even made my own pizza sauce from the tomatoes that were a little on the too ripe side.  And basil is taking over my fridge.  I think I need to try my hand at pesto or something.
My garden before.Hazel is my gardening buddy. We have two plots at the community garden.One of my garden beds at the community garden. I love that the director wrote my name on the edge in sharpie.Basil in my garden.UntitledThe tomatoes are taller than me. Hazel is a good at watering for me.#tomatoesI've got #tomatoes coming out of my ears!  So yummy!
My little #garden is producing a TON of yummy #tomatoes.Day 7: my #garden is doing better than I'd hoped!  #photoadayjuly #fatmumslim  #vegetablesFirst fruits from my garden. I like planting radishes- they come up fast and make you feel like a real gardener:)First tomatoes from my garden:)

3 comments:

kristi r said...

love your garden!!! Makes me hungry to see those great pictures!
We love pesto (chicken penne pesto, pesto pizza, etc). You probably don't need a recipe, but I thought I would share the one I use in case you want it:

2 c basil leaves (removed from stems)
3 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp pine nuts
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c parmesan cheese

I put it all in the blender until it's all mixed well. It freezes well too.

Miss you guys!

grannybabs said...

We have tried a garden several times - our soil is very poor here - lots of granite in it - have tried enriching it but mostly to no avail - so I'm just a tad jealous of yours. Not sure if we have "community" gardens here - guess I could check.

Betsy said...

Kristi - Thanks for the pesto recipe. I am trying it this week.

Grannybabs - the only reason my gardens ever work is because I build raised beds. You should try it. California is a great year round gardening spot. And by building a raised bed you can start out with good soil. I do a mix of peat moss, compost, and manure. Fresh salad greens are thes best!